The 9 things in your home you had no idea about could poison your baby

0


Having a baby is an exciting time, but it takes a lot of preparation to make sure your home is childproof.

Your home can be a dangerous place for a child, so it’s important to remove and replace anything that could be toxic to them.

Whether it’s your household appliances or the food you have in the refrigerator, there are many potential dangers that can harm your baby.

The UK’s National Health Service (NHS) says most cases of poisoning occur at home, and children under five are at the highest risk of accidental poisoning.

Poisons can be swallowed, injected, absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or projected into the eyes.

Most cases of poisoning in the UK come from an overdose of medication, this can include both over the counter medications such as paracetamol and prescription medications such as antidepressants.

In order to reduce the risk of poisoning your child, there are a number of steps you can take to keep them safe.

Reading the medication information and putting all the toxic products away is essential, but what are the products that could harm your little one?

1. Cleaning products

Cleaning products are potentially harmful to babies, experts say.
Getty Images / iStockphoto

While keeping a house clean is important to prevent the spread of nasty bugs and germs, the NHS says cleaning products like bleach could contain poisons that could be harmful.

It is important to keep these products out of reach so that your child cannot ingest them.

Instead of using harsh chemicals found in household cleaners, you can opt for lemon juice, which is naturally antibacterial, antiseptic, and smells great.

2. Cosmetics

The woman paints her nails.
Products such as nail polish can be irritating to the stomach or intestines.
Getty Images

The NHS says other toxic items could include cosmetics such as nail polish.

Products such as nail polish can be irritating to the stomach or intestines.

3. Plants

Houseplants next to a window in a beautifully designed house or flat interior
Some plants and fungi can harm babies.
Getty Images / iStockphoto

While many of us worry about pollution outside our homes, it is important not to pollute them inside.

The NHS says some plants and fungi can be dangerous.

Instead, you should go for bamboo and spider plants, which according to a study by Nasa are the best plants for removing indoor toxins.

4. Undercooked or moldy foods

You may not even realize that some of your food has started to develop mold.
You may not even realize that some of your food has started to develop mold.
iStockphoto

The NHS says poorly prepared or cooked food and food that is moldy or has been contaminated with bacteria from raw meat could be toxic.

It is important to keep this food out of the reach of your child.

5. Medicines

Medicines can often be toxic to babies.
Medicines can often be toxic to babies.
iStockphoto

If someone takes too much medicine it can be dangerous, but even more so for children.

The NHS says any medicine prescribed for pets, recreational drugs or substances can be toxic.

6. Alcohol

Alcohol can be particularly dangerous for children and adults.
Alcohol can be particularly dangerous for children and adults.
Getty Images

It is important to keep all alcohols out of the reach of children, especially brightly colored products, as they could be mistaken for juice.

Alcohol can be particularly dangerous for children and the NHS says that even if adults consume too much of it over a short period of time, it could cause alcohol poisoning.

7. Plastic bottles

Plastic bottles can leave harmful chemicals like BPA in the milk.
Plastic bottles can leak harmful chemicals like BPA into the milk.
Getty Images / iStockphoto

Doctor of Psychology Natasha Beck, who runs Dr Organic Mommy, said it’s important to have glass rather than plastic bottles when it comes to storing formula or breast milk.

She said Initiated: “Plastic bottles can leach toxic chemicals like BPA into milk, especially if you put them in the microwave or dishwasher.”

But don’t worry if you have already, because Beck said that over time the body gets rid of most toxins.

8. Stress

Tired mother holding her newborn baby at home.
Stress can negatively impact everyone in a family.
Getty Images

Trying to figure out what’s safe can be anxious, and Beck said that sometimes the worst chemicals are the ones we can’t see.

“Social toxins can be worse than chemical toxins. Worrying and being overwhelmed by all the available information – you don’t want it to take over.

“When you know better you do better. Take on one thing at a time. Because there are a lot of different things that you can always start to change.

9. Water

Poor water quality can mean your baby is ingesting too many toxins.
Poor water quality can mean your baby is ingesting too many toxins.
Getty Images

Over the past few years, many people have started using water filters in order to get rid of any potential inconvenience in their drinks.

Many water pipes can contain mercury, chlorine and asbestos which can often be moved from old and aging water pipes.

Beck said, “You should also get a filter to remove toxins from your water at home,” Beck said. Not all water filters remove lead and PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) or “forever chemicals,” so be sure to pick a good one. “


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.