Google Play system updates in July: “Wallet” rebranding, more
The July 2022 updates to the Google Play system are expected to bring the complete “Google Wallet” rebranding, as well as new forms of “cross-device experiences”.
While much of Android is open source and highly moddable, many of our phones’ most critical features are actually powered by Google Play Services. This main app works in conjunction with the Play Store and Android’s “Google Play System Monthly Updates”. During each month, Google regularly releases patch notes for this trio (otherwise known as the “Google System”).
The easiest way to check if you need to update Google Play Services on your phone is to follow a direct link to the app’s Play Store listing and update it from there, if available. To update the Play Store, tap your avatar in the corner, then tap “Settings.” In the “About” section, you will see an option to “Update the Play Store”. Meanwhile, Google Play system updates can be found through the Settings app under About phone > Android version > Google Play system update.
Google released the first batch of July game system patch notes a little later than usual this month, possibly because the first Monday was a holiday. In the first wave, we see the previously announced rebranding of Google Pay to “Google Wallet” set to arrive very soon, along with the previously previewed Material You redesign.
Another section reveals that Android developers will have new ways to create “smooth cross-device experiences”. This likely refers to the nearby sharing APIs that were announced during Google I/O. Also, it looks like Google’s July updates will change the “Data & Privacy” tab in Account Settings.
Google Play system updates for July 2022
- [Phone] Section headers in the Data & Privacy tab of Google Account settings have a new look.
- [Phone] API for developers to create seamless cross-device experiences.
Google Play Store
- Improvements to Play-as-you-download functionality to allow gamers to start playing mobile games while the app download continues to reduce wait times.
- New features to help you discover the apps and games you love.
- Optimizations allowing faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features of the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Google Play billing improvements.
- Ongoing improvements to Play Protect to protect your device.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes, and security, stability, and accessibility improvements.
- [Phone] Provide the ability to filter data plans available for purchase by different categories received from the carrier.
- [Phone] Updates user experience with latest Google Material design, rebrands as “Google Wallet”.
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support Maps-related developer services in their apps.
FTC: We use revenue-generating automatic affiliate links. After.
Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more info: